World Class Training At Pesadelo Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

If you are looking for World Class BJJ Training Classes in the Dallas Forth Worth Love Field Area look no further. Click here to learn more about our new and exciting kids and adult Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training classes by Stephen "Pesadelo" Hall, Alliance BJJ Black Belt. Click Here to see about our FREE 30 Day Trial Program!

Monday, March 31, 2008

Pan Ams 2008 Day 2 & 3 - No Weight Champion, No Air Bronze, Feelin Horribly Good!




I am the Pan American Games of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu 2008 Purple Belt Sr. 1 Super Heavyweight Champion (Gold Medal Match won over a guy who didn't make weight!) The guy was way over, and had been champion the past three years at his division in Pan Ams...Seemed he was very confident of victory because of that..

Anyways...I get to the Gold Medal Match and get called back out to the rings...The ring coordinator asks me what I want to do, as my opponent did not make weight..I opted to fight, but deferred to the head of my team to make the call...He said to let the guy fight, as I'd feel better about the Gold Medal that way...We get there, and knowing the guy was a take down, point strategy guy..I pull guard and work my game..I shoot a couple of triangles and gain advantages... but his size and his game of locking himself down and waiting both helped and hindered him...Kept him from getting submitted but also kept him in my game plan...Anyways..I end up winning, and dude was a really sore loser..I mean more than the normal disappointment of losing...Ah well..

I am also the 2008 Purple Belt Sr. 1 Open Weight Bronze Medalist (My run of not being choked out in BJJ finally ran out to a 280 lb guy in front of thousands! lol)

Since I have been practicing the gentle art...I have heard stories of those being choked out, and even put several people to sleep in competition and in training..but had never experienced this for myself....Well, on one of the biggest stages, it happened....

I lock up with him, work and decide to abandon my plans of an outside single as he hands were huge and locked onto my lapel (even knees did not budge them), and pull guard...Well I had seen something in his game which through working with huge guys in my home gym I would exploit to work a triangle or arm bar...but for some reason he wouldn't attempt the same as he had done his previous two matches...He tripods up, and puts his fist directly in my throat...I am working my hips out and even get to high guard...I'm not worried though I feel the pressure on my throat as normally (I am 6' 5 1/2") people aren't tall enough to be a threat in this position...but..as he was about 6' 4" and weighing at least 280...and had gotten his hips above mine...he then grabs the other lapel and pulls ...using my hip out to the arm bar attempt to close his fist over the choke...Well..in my head, I am happy as I and thinking I am about to lock this arm bar in deep then...


"What are you people all looking at me like that for? Did I break his arm? Uhhhh...Where am I? LOL" <---thoughts in my head as the eu[horic rush of blood back to the brain woke me... Ehh...Next time I'll stick to the plan..but...I guess it's still good....a Gold and a Bronze and a nice nap at the Pans...Can't beat that!


...Neck messed up, arms dead because of it...Head hurting...Eyes hurtin...Just breaking down as us old men are prone to do, but still kickin though! Hoping I warrant the promotion to Marrom with this last performance, as there are a couple guys I'd really love to compete against, and a lot of the guys who are really good, I've faced and beaten in the past have been promoted, including one of the guys in the Open Weight division who finished ahead of me and one I submitted! Anyways...I am a Pan AM Champ...And it just set in...so all my lil infirmities are kinda melting away ...All that was from Day 2...See The Pictures Below:



Here's One Of My Matches From The Absolute Division:


On the third day...(Black & Brown Belt Day)

Coach Jon Bjorkesten won silver in his Black Belt division and lost a well contested match to a 65lb heavier opponent in the Open (the guy was the eventual winner)...I am honored to be able to train with him..He is a great person and a fierce competitor...and His performance shows me I have a lot to work to aspire to and be able to accomplish as he has!...
The Alliance Team racked up points from wins and placements...hopefully we did enough to take both the Adult and Masters/Seniors division titles after taking 2nd in the Juvenile division results! Pictures from the Third Day Below:



I got pictures with some of the greats in Jiu-Jitsu (Including Jacare'!) over the weekend as well as a couple movie stars and generally had a great time though I wasn't well physically...Got complemented from two different Black Belt instructors (both said I should be brown...so it felt good to hear that as one of the was from the Texas area, and another was Lloyd Irvin, who complimented my game and invited me to train for free for a couple weeks whenever I can get to D.C.) Now, if my health allows it (I have my procedure on my neck this week!), on to World Championships (Mundials as well as International Masters& Seniors World's)...Hopefully as a Brown Belt...Plus, I start Portuguese classes this week! Looking forward to the World Championships training camp when I will be able to speak more with the team. And I DEFINITELY hope to be competing on these days at the major tournaments in the near future!

2 comments:

BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU CLUB said...

GOOD SHIT! NICE PAGE.. I WAS JUST SEARCHING FOR WHAT THE MEDALS ARE GONNA LOOK LIKE FOR THE GRACIE NATIONALS 2009 AND I BUMPED INTO THIS ONE.. I RAN INTO YOU A FEW TIMES IN THE TOURNAMENTS.. NICE PAGE BRO..

PEACE

JOEL JEDI

www.myspace.com/joeljitsu

BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU CLUB said...

nice blog! i ran into you a few times and said what's up.. i was looking for what the pan american medals are gonna look like for 09.. and i ran into your page..

later bro!


joel jedi