World Class Training At Pesadelo Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

If you are looking for World Class BJJ Training Classes in the Dallas Forth Worth Love Field Area look no further. Click here to learn more about our new and exciting kids and adult Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training classes by Stephen "Pesadelo" Hall, Alliance BJJ Black Belt. Click Here to see about our FREE 30 Day Trial Program!

Monday, January 21, 2008

When Things Make Sense (Life Doesn't Stop)






Just some photos that mean a lot to me...

Tonight was good and trying for many reasons...Had a lot on my mind as I went in...Seems like the harder you try to get away from bad people and things, the more they attempt to follow you...It's good to be able to escape work, personal problems, and the rigors of life on the mat though...Out there, nothing exists but you and your opponent. There can be no bullshit on the mat.

For some reason, it seems as if I am opening up to a whole new phase of growth and development in jiu-jitsu after having been kind of on a plateau...I started class at 207.8 lbs... So it seems I'm maintaining weight but not gaining or losing too much...I didn't do my normal before or during class extra bodyweight workouts as I am trying to ease back on my way to tournament shape...

Tonight the things coach Allen showed were right up my alley...We did the normal warm ups and moved into the drill phase doing the basics like get ups, side to side knee movement drills etc...For some reason it was a little more strenuous than normal...I think I didn't stretch well enough beforehand...

The technique parts were showing the baseball bat choke from top position when your opponent has half-guard or x-guard, as well as the cradle reversal from the bottom in half-guard...Coach has shown me the sneaky variation on the baseball bat choke before and it's worked from guard so I can't wait to use this one as it clicked the way he showed it tonight and I end up in that position a lot...The other technique was a new set up for triangle from top position in half guard or when the opponent is trying x-guard...THAT one is definitely made for me and was really tight..i picked these up great in the practice drills...

When it came time to roll, I asked to roll with one of our instructors as he is a great test for me, and makes it so I can't take any time off or rest even a second...He finishes his moves so quickly and cleanly that u don't get second chances so it's great practice for tournament rolling...And with the fact that he is so much better than I am, makes it gratifying if I catch him in anything or am successful in any way...

First roll starts with me on the bottom and he on top in side mount...Took me quite some time, but with my new arm placement I was able to hold off his arm attacks and
right at the end of the round I ended up recovering to half-guard...I still have a lot of work to do as this is my weakest spot...
Second roll starts with me in his guard...this one is a war!...He constantly had me on the defense for the first part, but I was able to work the guard break I taught in my class on Sunday! Once I got it, it was a dog fight with him trying to set me for an arm bar or triangle, and me trying my under/over pass...in the end...I got it!!! Went all the way to 50-50!!!
Third starts with him in my guard as I needed to work it for the tournament...I set up for the side to side elbow-pull arm bar, but he was too savvy for those..so I set up with a pull on one arm, and opened guard to act as if I was setting to switch hips for the arm bar but when I did, he blocked aticipating triangle and i switched hips, and got out to the side and set up the pendulum sweep!!! But I had something ins tore..instead of following all the way over, I feigned having trouble coming up to mount to get him to post his arms out..he did, and I blocked one and shot the triangle...and i finished! My pet move!!!To get it to work on him means I can put it in my toolbox now!
The next roll was back in my guard...he stood to pass and kept up good pressure...I eventually made the mistake he was setting me up for and he did the sweetest rolling toe-hold you ever want to see!!! Not sure about some of the setup he did for it, but he put so much pressure on to pass that I left things to chance trying to work for reversal #6 ...He's seen it a thousand times and I didn't execute...Went about it too methodically...He had a lot, including a really good side control method that I learned from him as well as his in-guard techniques...I learn a LOT every time I roll with him...Hopefully, he and I will be going down to Brazil for the International Masters & Seniors World Championships later this year!

As I write this, I am 206.2lbs...hope I can keep that on over night...Need to get some rest, and hope I can get some peace of mind from every day life so that the only thing I have to deal with is the jet lag come this weekend...but it seems nothing I do can keep the issues in life from escalating...Wish I could triangle hold em and put em to sleep but...seems the only place I get peace of mid is in the gym...I thank Coach Allen, Marcus, and the founders of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu...without this I'd crack up...or strangle someone! lol


MLK Day Thought: You cannot be happy, when focusing on creating unhappiness for others.

No comments: