World Class Training At Pesadelo Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

If you are looking for World Class BJJ Training Classes in the Dallas Forth Worth Love Field Area look no further. Click here to learn more about our new and exciting kids and adult Brazilian Jiu Jitsu training classes by Stephen "Pesadelo" Hall, Alliance BJJ Black Belt. Click Here to see about our FREE 30 Day Trial Program!

Monday, July 21, 2008

Frailty Of Life

Me at 203.6 after Practice

A Match When I Injured My Ribs, Dislocated My Elbow, and STILL Won By Submission

Thumbs Up In Cali
Weight 201.2

First off...I'd like to tell everyone...PLEASE...take time EVERYDAY, to tell those that you love and care for how you really feel about them....Cherish them, make certain they always know what you feel. Take care of them, make sure they are taking care of themselves. Almost lost someone I consider a brother to a heart attack (at age 35) this weekend. It was and is a wake up call to me, not only for him and my other family and friends, but for myself as well. I am happy that he is recovering well and will soon be home. God is good!

As for other things...there are always people in life you don't care much for, that have done you wrong, etc...It just isn't worth the energy to hold on to...For those folks, i may not be able to let things go totally but at least I can and will, on my part anyway, to co-exist on the earth without holding onto the negative, even if that means just ignoring the evil etc from folks...

As for training...
I feel as if I've been a sponge...things I have been picking up by osmosis, and my jiu-jitsu understanding keeps growing...Lately, when I've worked on rounding out my game and closing my holes, I've been able to see and immediately implement the changes...Lately without a ton of repetition...That's a God send.anyone who knows the game, knows that isn't normal....Not sure why, but I'm trying to get the most out of it that I can.
All the rough training has been because I am going to compete in the International Masters & Seniors Championships in Rio De Janerio, Brazil. Leaving Wednesday July 23 and returning Tuesday July 29! Hopefully I will get a chance to train a tad bit down there as well as experience the city. Normally when I am off on a competition trip, I don't do anything but sleep eat and compete then come home...
Haven't had much of an appetite, so I think I will be a bit under normal weight when I get to compete. As I am already competing a weight class up (meaning I will be fighting people weighing sometimes as much as 25lbs more than myself) I have to be on my game...The mind is willing but the body is telling me to hell with this!...Picked up a couple new supplements and that has made things easier as well...Don't normally like to take those things but the wear and tear on the body of this old fella has been catching up to me lately...Hope that this also has a good effect on me overall in everyday health...
Well between my training, and now training my new students in Plano(www.visionmartialarts.com), I just don't get to stop much...seeing as though I am getting laid off July 31st, I will have more free time, and took that as a sign that I should go much harder after the dream I have of opening my own school. The toes still bother me, even though one is healed, the other is still broken...I've had to adjust that as well in my take down training and seem to be passable with that. Problem is, as I stated...i am fighting my body in addition to the art and life...
Friday, I was working out...doing guard pass and king of the mountain drills, I had a really good pin half guard sit out pass on a guy who's about 215-220...Executed it perfectly, and when I went to turn to stabilize and force him to flatten out, he posted his elbow in my chest...I hear three distinct cracking noises...Long story short, cracked sternum, pulled rib cartilage, and cracked floating rib...hurts when I breathe, talk, sneeze, etc etc...Don't knwo WHAT the fuck Imma do to compete but no way I won't be going...It was/is really a downer b/c of the way I've been going, I felt like a world beater...first the toes assist in the loss at Mundials, now getting ready for the old man World championships and my first time competing in Brazil (The cradle of the sport and home to the best jiu-jitsu players anywhere in the world...i really want to at least show up well), It has me really depressed. I have to figure out a way to stay on schedule...though I know I should rest..this championship means a lot to me..roe than a lot with the way my life is going sliding down a hill lately...Trying to make the last few big tournaments this year as depending on the job situation, I may not be able to do much of anything after sept/oct or so...so this will not be allowed to stop me. jiu-jitsu is about overcoming a greater adversary when at a disadvantage...i will attempt to do just that. To the people that have helped me get where I am, supported, encouraged, or assisted me in ANY way in life and jiu-jitsu thank you and God bless you. Injury or not, i will not let you down....I fight on...


I got lots more to write, but honestly it's a lot going on inside and it's hard to verbalize...sorry if this is a tad disjointed...


Thought For The Day: Pain is only temporary, no matter how long it lasts!

1 comment:

Joon Oh said...

"It just isn't worth the energy to hold on to." Somethings are.

But glad to see you posting again, and now allowing comments, haha. Bummer about all those damn injuries. Have you considered just taking a couple days off just to heal a bit?

btw, it's "dirt mcgirt" from the forums.